Saturday, October 31, 2009

How can hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) cause weight loss?

After my miscarriage (3 mos. pregnant) I started to lose weight for what seemed like no reason. Then I got pregnant again and gained weight like normal, carried the baby to term and now my baby is 14 mos. and my weight is lower than ever! (93 lbs)- I cant' seem to gain. I went to a doctor who specialized in thryoid since my mom has this but she gains weight. He said in a small percentage of people who have underactive thyroid there is weightloss. I'm just wondering how can this be true and if anyone has ever heard of this...
Answer:
usually you would gain weight like your mom.maybe you haven't the energy for cooking or eating- look at your total intake over the day and see if it matches up. Also- are you on replacement like eg, levothyroxine? sometimes, you will end up a little hyperthyroid, if your dose is too high, or your own thyroid starts to function properly.
After having my thyroid removed and then becoming hypothyroid until I was on the proper medication, there was a period where I lost weight. I thought it was because my appetite level decreased a lot. The weight loss was temporary and when my appetite returned so did the weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net